Thursday, September 6, 2012

A visit to the marae

First it rained and then it cleared up. After the powhiri, Whaea Sue walked us into the wharenui. She told us about all the time, effort and history put into the wharenui. I think that it is quite amazing how they built the marae out of an old hospital in Nelson. That was transported in the early hours of the morning. They also designed the wharenui to look like a great ancestor of the Maori. After we had the little tour of the wharenui we had tea, games, then bed. In the night I was awaken by a loud noise. While I was half asleep I thought it was a truck on the road beside us. But then I realised that it was Mr Neal's snoring. How I knew this partly because my dad had experienced this with Mr Neal on the camp in Wellington and also because half the people in the room were awaken by his snoring. But apart from the snoring that kept me awake half the night, I enjoyed my stay at the marae.

No comments: