Monday, February 28, 2011

Quinn - Earthquake Diary

We were at school. We went to lunch about 12.30pm and after I'd eaten, I just went in to the classroom to put my lunchbox away. Then I went outside, about a minute before the earthquake happened. I was on the court when it struck. It's really hard to explain what it was like. I was being pushed up into the air, my feet left the ground. I saw the court cracking some distance away from me.

When it stopped, I was dazed and confused and I don't know why but I smiled. I saw kids and teachers crying on the ground. I saw the wall of our classroom fall down and the ceiling fell down . Huge clouds of dust arose from the ground. I knew I had to get everybody to the field in case they got crushed by a second shake. No one got injured at our school except for a minor injury.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you guys are safe! I hope we get to see you and your sister while we are visiting in a few weeks.
Your Cousin from Texas- Michael

Unknown said...

great story good to read your experience.glad your safe love dad

Justin Neal said...

Well written Quinn. That will be a life long memory.

Isla+Charley said...

Hey Quinn, so glad that you and Eve and your Mum and Dad are ok. You were really brave to help the other kids, Helen adn I are really proud of both you and your sister. Hope your having fun staying with Izzie Tom and Jed.
Your cousins from England, Daniel, Helen, Isla and Charley

Unknown said...

Hi Quinn, great story mate. You were quite a hero gathering children and taking them to safety. I'm very proud of you.
We are watching the bloggs closely and hope to see more from you.
Nothing much to report this morning. We hope to see Civil Defence or an engineer today but so far no one has visited.
Miss you darling, be good (I know you will) and look after Evie.
Love Mum xxx

The Fimples said...

So glad to hear that everyone is safe. You were really brave to help others in that situation. Wish you guys the best!
Your family in Florida - Shannon